Monday, March 16, 2009

I am back, with Broccoli Special!

Well, I am back. Eli is six weeks old now, and I figured it was time to get back to business. I have thought a lot about posting, but haven't actually gotten it done. But, I am now back by popular demand. Yes, a few people have actually asked when I was going to post again, and I was flattered.

Things have been a little crazy around here. We have had a lot of family visiting the last 2 weeks, and that takes all of your time. And I guess that we figured we were not busy enough with the new baby, we have decided to move. We are moving to a new apartment that we LOVE, and I cannot wait to decorate and make it our home.

So I will try my best between loads of endless laundry, packing boxes and feedings to keep current posts up.

One of my stand by go to side dishes is broccoli special. Broccoli Special is a dish that my Mom makes, and it is amazing. I love broccoli, and when it is on sale I will buy a ton, so I can have some with ever dinner.

Broccoli Special is super easy to make, and was originally a microwave recipe. When I moved out on my own, my first apartment did not have a microwave, so I made it on the stove top. If there is broccoli in the fridge there is usually a little Tupperware of the sauce so I can dollop it on steamed broccoli any time.



Broccoli Special

1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1/3 cup cashews (optional)

1. Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces and steam. While broccoli is steaming, make sauce.
2. Cook onions in butter until soft.
3. Add sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, poppy seeds, paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Cook 2 minutes, until hot.
5. Serve over steamed broccoli, and top with cashews, if desired.

* I usually double the sauce, because I like it with a good helping of sauce.

No comments: