Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Creamy Chicken Potato Soup

Hello- I am glad to get back into the swing of crafting and cooking.

As part of the new and more organized meal planning that I am doing, I am adding more soups to my cooking rotation. I guess it is technically still fall, but it feels like winter, and that cool winter air makes me long for a pot of soup simmering on the stove.

This recipe originally came from The Sisters' Cafe Blog, but I made a few changes to make the recipe my own. This recipe was very easy, just a lot of chopping and simmering. My husband loved it, and said that it ranked right up with the other soups that I make.


Creamy Chicken Potato Soup

lb chicken (breasts or combination)
1 onion, diced
6 slices of bacon
2 handfuls baby carrots (about 2 cups sliced small)
4-5 potatoes, diced small
1 c milk
1/4 c flour
8 oz package cream cheese

1. Put chicken in pot and cover with water; boil until cooked. Take chicken out of water but keep the broth. When chicken is cool, shred.
2. Fry bacon in the pot you will be using for the soup. Fry bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and saute' onions in bacon drippings. Add carrots and potatoes. Add 3-4 cups of broth or enough to cover vegetables. Add bouillon cubes or soup base for flavor (I add 4 bouillon cubes). Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender.
3. Mix flour with milk and add to soup. Add chicken and cream cheese into the soup mixture. Slightly soften cream cheese in microwave, then add to soup in little pieces.Simmer until melted and well combined. Add in crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: