Monday, January 19, 2009

Pecan Pie

My family loves pie, especially my Mom's pie. My memories of birthdays growing up are filled with more birthday pie than birthday cake.

My Mom makes an amazing pie, the base of which is her amazing pie crust. The crust makes the pie, it really does. If the crust of your pie is dry or tasteless, it makes the whole pie disappointing. I have actually eaten the inside of a pie and left a bad yucky crust. Really, why waste calories on something that tastes bad.

When I finally started making the pie crust on my own I was shocked at how easy it was. I wondered to myself why someone would ever buy a pre-made crust, when the delicious crust was so easy. I promise that the super easy yummy crust recipe is to come, but for now, you get a great pie recipe.... Pecan Pie!

Pecan Pie is near the top of my list of favorite desserts. It is so rich and delicious, and it has nuts so it is kind of healthy right?

I could have eaten the whole thing by myself, I am pregnant I can get away with that right?


Pecan Pie

1 cup corn syrup
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
3 whole eggs
1 heaping cup of pecans


1. Mix together corn syrup, salt, vanilla, brown sugar and melted butter.

2. Beat eggs, as if you were making scrambled eggs, add to the mixture above.

3. Pour mixture into un-baked pie crust.

4. Top with pecans

5. Bake @ 350 for 45-55 minutes.

6. Cool to room temperature.

No comments: