Monday, October 5, 2009

Hawaiian Haystacks

Good Monday morning! Where did the weekend go? We had a very busy weekend with family in town. Having extra family around always means lots of cooking. Saturday night I departed from my original plan for dinner and threw together some Hawaiian Haystacks.

I have no idea where the name came from. I really doubt that they are truly Hawaiian, and they don't really look like haystacks.

I love making haystacks for groups of people. Because they are completely customizable. Everyone can add just what they want, so even the pickiest of eater can be satisfied.

My sister in law commented that she really like the sauce, because it wasn't super runny. I love this sauce too, it is a combination of a few recipes that I tweaked. It isn't just a watered down cream of chicken soup, it is a real sauce, and I love that.



Hawaiian Haystacks
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped

1.Melt butter in sauce pan
2. Add flour, salt and milk
3. Stir well, until smooth
4. Add can of soup and chicken
5. Simmer
6. Serve over rice, top as desired


Possible Toppings
  • celery
  • Pineapple tidbits
  • green onions
  • chopped bell peppers
  • water chestnuts
  • chow mein noodles
  • shredded cheese
  • coconut
  • almond slivers
  • diced tomatoes
Stay tuned for more great cooking this week as my in-laws come to town and I throw a fabulous baby shower!

No comments: