Sunday, June 20, 2010
Today was what is lovingly known as Cupcake Sunday. Once a month I bring cupcakes to my girls at church to celebrate the birthday's for that month. I love how excited they get to see the cupcakes, and it is a great time for me to try out new recipes.
This month I was inspired by our weekend camping trip, where I happened to forget the makings for s'mores. What is camping without s'mores?
These cupcakes turned out great and they were super easy make. I think the best part was the marshmallow buttercream frosting. YUM. I tried a few different twists, and lets be clear, putting a marshmallow in the middle of the 2 layers does not make a marshmallow center, it just makes a gooey mess on the top, stick with just doing marshmallow frosting.
1 yellow cake mix, prepared as directed
1 chocolate cake mix, prepared as directed
1. Scoop a large spoon full of the yellow cake mix, and 1/3 full.2. Break up graham cracker on top of yellow cake mix.
- You want the pieces to be fairly big. If they are too small they will just get mixed into the batter. You want them to be big enough to poke out the side.
3. Then finish topping with the chocolate cupcake batter.
4. Bake @ 350 for 18-22 minutes.
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
1 jar marshmallow fluff
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 cups of powdered sugar
1. Beat butter on high until light and fluffy.
2. Slowly add sugar. Add sugar until you reach the right consistency.
3. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
4. Add marshmallow fluff and slowly mix in, do not over mix.
5. Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with fine graham cracker crumbs.